The 『Support for Graduate Student Local Survey in Japan』 Program aims to contribute to the advancement and development of Japanese studies conducted in Korea by providing graduate students in the field of Japanese studies with the opportunity to investigate and collect data from Japan and identify trends in research. We welcome many graduate students' interest and support.
* Major and Support Field : Japanese and Korea-Japan relations studies
* Eligibility: Seoul National University graduate students who prepare a dissertation on Japan - including students who completed their coursework
- Priority will be given to the person who submitted the thesis proposal to his/her department.
* Common Requirements
1. Those who can conduct research in Japanese or English.
2. The following cases are excluded from the support:
- Those who intend to learn Japanese or register for a regular degree program in Japan
- Those who have been supported in Korea within the last three years for a similar purpose
1. Availability : six students (three doctoral students, three master's students) *regardless of the nationality, including those who completed their coursework
2. Research Period: January 2020 - February 2020
(Doctoral course: two-week stay in Japan, Master's course: 1-week stay in Japan)
3. Supporting Costs
- Doctoral Course: 2,000,000 won per person (airfare and living expenses)
- Master's Course: 1,200,000 won per person (airfare and living expenses)
* Selection Procedure
1. Submission : by Sunday, December 22, 2019
2. Submit to email
- all documents should be made into one PDF file with the name "Local Survey_Name" and sent to the email address above
3. Required Documents
- Cover letter and survey research plan: written in Japanese or English
(Download the attachment from htp:/ijs.snu.ac.kr)
- Certificate of enrollment
- Thesis proposal (if applicable)
4. Selection (December 2019)
- Initial document screening
- Interview (only for those who have passed the initial screening)
- Necessity of local survey
- Specificity of the research plan
- Executability (Japanese ability, etc.)
- Thoroughness of the research plan
6. Notification of Results (expected at the end of December 2018)
- Results will be notified individually
1. If it is impossible to evaluate properly due to items omitted in the application form or the attached documents, the applicant may be excluded from the evaluation without further notice.
2. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
3. Application form and attached documents will not be returned.
"Local Survey Report (in Japanese or English)" and "receipts" need to be submitted in March after the survey, and selected applicants will need to report at the local survey seminar in March.
Institute for Japanese Studies, Seoul National University (Room 403, GSIS Building #140)
Contact : Jeong Yonu (tel. 880-8503 / firstname.lastname@example.org)